Dr Jonathan D. Sarfati B.Sc. (Hons.), Ph.D., F.M.
Creationist Physical Chemist and Spectroscopist (Australia)
Dr Jonathan Sarfati was born in Ararat, Australia in 1964. He moved to New Zealand as a child and later studied science at Victoria University of Wellington. He obtained a B.Sc. (Hons.) in Chemistry with two physics papers substituted (nuclear and condensed matter physics). His Ph.D. in Chemistry was awarded for a thesis entitled ‘A Spectroscopic Study of some Chalcogenide Ring and Cage Molecules’. He has co-authored papers in mainstream scientific journals on high temperature superconductors and selenium-containing ring and cage-shaped molecules. He also had a co-authored paper on high-temperature superconductors published in Nature when he was 22.
Dr Sarfati has been a Christian since 1984. He has long been interested in apologetics, the defense of the faith, and was a co-founder of the Wellington Christian Apologetics Society (New Zealand). Creation vs evolution is of course a vital area, because of the ramifications for the doctrines of Creation, the Fall which brought death into the world, and their links to the doctrines of the Incarnation, Atonement and Bodily Resurrection of the God-man Jesus Christ.
Dr Sarfati is married to Sherry and they enjoy spending time with their two grand-daughters.
In August 1996, he returned to the country of his birth to take up a position as a research scientist and editorial consultant for Creation Ministries International in Brisbane. In this capacity, he is co-editor of Creation magazine, and also writes and reviews articles for Journal of Creation, CMI’s in-depth peer-reviewed publication, as well as contributing to CMI’s website.
In 1999, his first book was published—Refuting Evolution, which countered a teachers guidebook by the National Academy of Sciences, Teaching about Evolution and the Nature of Science, which had been widely circulated and publicized. Refuting Evolution now has 450,000 copies in print. Later that year he was a co-author of the updated and expanded Answers Book [note: now entitled The Creation Answers Book], answering 20 of the most-asked questions about creation/evolution. He later wrote Refuting Evolution 2, countering the PBS Evolution series and an anticreationist article in Scientific American.
In 2004, he wrote Refuting Compromise, defending a straightforward biblical creation timeline and a global flood, and answering biblical and scientific objections, concentrating on the errant teachings of day-age/local flood advocate Hugh Ross. It has been acclaimed as ‘the most powerful biblical and scientific defense of a straightforward view of Genesis creation ever written!’ See the introductory chapter and some reviews.
In 2006, he co-authored 15 Reasons to Take Genesis as History with Don Batten, as a concise reference guide for Christians, including pastors and theologians, why Genesis can be trusted as real history of Creation about 6000 years ago and a global Flood.
In 2008, he finished By Design: Evidence for nature’s Intelligent Designer—the God of the Bible. This demonstrates many examples of design in many areas, shows why chemical evolution can’t explain the origin of first life, and answers many objections to the Intelligent Design movement by invoking the biblical Creation-Fall model.
In 2010, Dr Sarfati wrote The Greatest Hoax on Earth? Refuting Dawkins on evolution, a response to leading atheopath Richard Dawkins’ latest book The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution (see website).
That year, Dr Sarfati emigrated to the USA with his wife to work in the CMI–USA office as author, speaker, apologist, and Head Scientist.
In 2012, he considerably expanded and updated a classic general apologetics book, Christianity for Skeptics, by Dr Steve Kumar of New Zealand. This presents a positive case for the existence of God, the inspiration of the Bible, and the divinity and resurrection of Christ, and answers challenges from suffering, atheism, Eastern philosophy, and Islam. The update now also contains cutting edge material on design in nature, the Christian roots of science, and answering the ‘new atheists’.
In 2015, Dr Sarfati wrote probably his most important and comprehensive book yet: The Genesis Account: A theological, historical, and scientific commentary on Genesis 1–11, almost 800 pages long.
Dr Sarfati is also a keen chess player. He is a former New Zealand Chess Champion, and represented New Zealand in three Chess Olympiads, and drew with Boris Spassky, world champion 1969–1972, in a tournament game (those interested in the game score can see this chess site). In 1988, F.I.D.E., the International Chess Federation, awarded him the title of F.I.D.E. Master (FM). Dr Sarfati regularly accepts challenges from multiple players where he plays ‘blindfold’, i.e. from memory without sight or any physical contact with the board, so moves are communicated via a recognized chess notation (See an example at the Croydon Chess Club). Twelve is the most played simultaneously to date—see photo, above right.
- B.Sc. (Hons.) in Chemistry (with condensed matter and nuclear physics papers substituted)
- Ph.D. in Spectroscopy (Physical Chemistry)
- 1988, F.I.D.E. Master title, The International Chess Federation
Creation science articles Apologetics and Philosophy
- Non-Christian philosopher clears up myths about Augustine and the term ‘literal’
- Loving God with all your mind: Logic and Creation (Semi-Technical)
- What? A Christian mind?
- Origins of the word ‘Palestine’
- What good is Christianity?
- Presuppositionalism vs evidentialism, and is the human genome simple?
- Questioning God’s many attributes
- ‘AnswersLIVE’ questions & answers: 20 November 2002 and 27 April 2004
- Moving forward—arguments we think creationists shouldn’t use (available in Spanish)
- The tyranny of ‘tolerance’
- The Hypocrisy of Intolerant ‘tolerance’: Christian schoolgirl failed for refusing ‘gay’ assignment
- Near Death Experiences? What should Christians think?
- Reader questions motive of CMI’s response to tsunami disaster
- Answer to philosophy/religion professor on biblical exegesis and the problem of evil
- Da Vinci Code apostate challenges CMI
- Creation challenge: leave the Bible out of it
- Intolerance, persecution and fundamental conceit (including: if religious belief is in our genes, then is there a gene that makes us believe that beliefs are in our genes?)
- Miracles and science
- Do evolution and the big bang follow scientific laws?
- Red Sea Parting, Jonah, and miracles in general
- Agnostic asks whether biblical Christians commit circular reasoning: role of axioms, internal consistency and real world application
- Terrorists and Death
- Why would a loving God allow death and suffering? (similar article available in Italian)
- Why is there Death and Suffering? booklet: Raises questions but provides framework for answers
- Norway terrorist: more anti-Christian media mendacity
- Atheism is more rational? (reply to critic)
- Answering a reasonable atheist on deep philosophical questions
- Answering 10 big questions in detail
- God is a liar? (reply to critic)
- Darwinist hype and the culture war
- The Biblical roots of modern science
- Why does science work at all?
- Why would God bother with a tiny planet like Earth?
- Why Bible history matters (and the timing of the Fall and Ark-building)
- Biblical history and the role of science
- Why is the church losing its young people?
- Conversion, apostasy, and CMI’s approach
- Does God’s foreknowledge entail fatalism?
- At a loss to answer objections?
- Islam, testimony, and the Trinity
- Trinity: analogies and countering critics
- Does the universe need a cause?
- Correcting misconceptions on creation and the gospel
- Universal negatives and excluded middles
Biological change, mutation and natural selection Design in the creation Dinosaurs and Birds Ethics and Morality Fossils and the Flood, Noah’s Ark
- Why the Universe does not revolve around the Earth: Refuting absolute geocentrism
- Solar system origin: Nebular hypothesis [why it is wrong]
- The sun: our special star (available in Spanish)
- Our steady sun: a problem for billions of years
- Age of the Sun
- The Moon: The light that rules the night (available in Spanish)
- Venus—cauldron of fire
- Earth is ‘too special’?
- Mars: The red planet
- Comets—portents of doom or indicators of youth (available in Russian)
- Will comet Elenin destroy us? And: What about the planets lining up in the sky?
- Have fundamental constants changed, and what would it prove? (Semi-Technical)
- ‘Big-bang’ critic dies (Sir Fred Hoyle, 1915–2001) (Semi-Technical)
- Hawking atheopathy
- What about the slowing, stopping and reversing of light? (Semi-Technical)
- Should creationists accept quantum mechanics?
- Neutrinos faster than light?
- Evolutionary theologian thinks aliens would have more advanced religion—Bible college crisis: leading staff violate their own statements of faith
- Alien visitors to Earth? Not with the huge energy shortage and megaton dust bombs
- Nobel Prize for alleged big bang proof
- More space travel problems: g-forces
- Have NASA computers really proven Joshua’s long day?
- Galaxies, Black Holes, and Creation (interview with astrophysicist Dr Markus Blietz)
- ‘He made the stars also’: (interview with astronomy full professor, Dr Danny Faulkner)
- Exploring the heavens (interview with former New South Wales Government Astronomer, David King)
- Exploring the heavens: Interview with NASA scientist Michael Tigges
- Could an asteroid have tilted Earth’s axis?
- Galileo Quadricentennial
- Black holes and Lilith: reality and myth (respectively)
- Eclipses and Easter, big bang questions
- Anisotropy Synchrony Convention
- ‘Missing mass’ of the big bang found?
- Origin of the elements—Bible vs the big bang
- Atheism, plants, and gas giants
- Is God a particle-wave duality?
Human Origins Origin of Life Refuting anti-creationists
- Noah did not take fish on the Ark!
- Flood models and biblical realism
- The Yellowstone Petrified Forests (Semi-Technical)
- How did fish, invertebrates and plants survive the Genesis Flood?
- How did all the animals fit on Noah’s Ark? (Polish translation (off site))
See also Refutation of major evolutionary Flood/Ark critique (Semi-Technical, on the creationist True.Origins Archive)
- Refuting Noah’s ark critics
- Not Finding Noah—A review of the film Finding Noah: An Adventure of Faith
- Birds on the Ark
- Micro-primates … a transitional form or just heel-bone hype?
- Tiktaalik—a fishy ‘missing link’
- How innocent are ‘bathtub arks’? (response to critic)
- Mammoth: Riddle of the Ice Age (Semi-Technical; Spanish translation available, as well as an English booklet)
- Yes, Noah did build an Ark! (Refutation of anti-Ark BBC program)
- Noah’s Flood and the Gilgamesh Epic
- CMI presents geological ‘misinformation’?
- Another leggy snake?
- ‘The oldest pregnant mum’—not! (Materpiscis attenboroughi or ‘Mother fish of Attenborough’)
- Ichthyosaurs: evidence for a recent global flood
- Darwinopterus v Dawkins
- Flood legends, and creation in the science class
- Computers on the Ark?
- Running out of puff: Low oxygen may have medical benefits—implications for the ‘Vapor Canopy’ model
- Many questions, many answers: Cavemen diets, Ark stability, plant evolution, DNA replication
- Evolution exams and fossil fallacies
- Giant compound eyes, half a billion years ago?
- The illogic of anti-creationism
- Billions of years? Appraising the dangers
- The glasses of ‘deep time’
- ‘One long ad hominem’
- Flood models and flat-earthers
- The flat earth myth
- What’s Wrong With Bishop Spong? Laymen Rethink the Scholarship of John Shelby Spong
- Refutation of PBS-TV Evolution series (Seven articles—one per episode) Episode 2 rebuttal available in Spanish
- Refutation of Cosmos series by Neil deGrasse Tyson: Episode 1, Episode 2.
- Refutation of Kenneth Miller’s anti-creationist book Finding Darwin’s God (Semi-Technical)
- Refutation of Richard Dawkins’ anti-creationist book Climbing Mount Improbable (Semi-Technical)
- Dawkins’ Delusion (continued)
- Misotheist’s misology: Dawkins attacks Behe but digs himself into logical potholes
- Refutation of Boyce Rensberger’s Washington Post article: ‘How Science Responds When Creationists Criticize Evolution’
- The Second Law of Thermodynamics (Semi-Technical, Answering the Critics; available in Spanish)
- Some thermodynamics criticisms (by anti-creationist science writer Jonathan Sherwood)—and answers:
- Who’s really pushing ‘bad science’? A Response to: Good Science, Bad Science by Lawrence S. Lerner (Semi-Technical, available in Russian)
- 15 ways to refute materialistic bigotry—A point by point response to Scientific American (Semi-Technical, available in Russian)
- Critique of the atheist John Stear’s ‘No Answers in Genesis’ website and the skeptics featured there (on the creationist True.Origins Archive)
- More nonsense from Professor Plimer
- Judas II (Nathan Z.)
- Barbara Thiering: A short critique
- The ‘Indoctrinator’
- Playwright just plain wrong
- The Skeptics and their ‘Churchian’ Allies (and point-by-point reponse to their reply)
- Bonebox bashers blasted: Update on James ossuary claims
- Atheists blast Christianity. Yet another misleading anti-Christian assault from Australia’s taxpayer-funded TV station, ABC (covers the origin of science, big bang, evolutionary compromises, death and suffering)
- The fallacy of arguing from authority
- Time and Newsweek blatantly attack Christian doctrine: Christians use Internet to refute mainstream media misochristism—and be heard!
- CMI scientist refutes atheistic evolutionist in Wellington’s (New Zealand) major newspaper
- Intelligent Design—‘A War on Science’ says the BBC
- War on creation, continued (refutation of criticism of above)
- Feedback: Correcting a severe misconception about the creation model; Dr Sarfati—‘a good communicator and a good witness’
- Clearing up creation confusion
- New England Journal of Medicine promotes anti-theism
- The lies of Free Inquiry—a response
- Reader questions motive of CMI’s response to tsunami disaster
- Catalytic reporting: An Australian science show [on ABC] flags its bias
- Creationists can’t agree any more than cosmologists? (feedback)
- Atheism is more rational? (feedback)
- Mangling misotheism (feedback)
- Newton was a creationist only because there was no alternative? (feedback)
- ‘God doesn’t care a bit’ about origins? (response to critic)
- When will Europe wake up?
- Answering close family on creation questions
- Science, Creation and Evolutionism: Response to the latest anticreationist agitprop from the US National Academy of Sciences (NAS), Science, Evolution and Creationism
- Top 10 Consequences of evolution?
- Atheopathy vs Science: Refutation of New Scientist’s Evolution: 24 myths and misconceptions:
Feedback: Biblical creation impedes evangelism? Plus yet another uninformed atheist. Deny vote to creationists Refuting progressive creationism, theistic evolution and other compromise views
- The Darwin–Hitler connection; refuting ‘Hitler was a Christian’ mendacity
- Mangling misotheists’ ignorant attacks on the Bible (refuting alleged contradictions)
- Evolution v natural selection (includes mutations, information, ‘bad design’, missing links)
- Darwin isn’t the final word (includes Haldane’s Dilemma and the bacterial flagellum)
- What about creationist disagreements? Are transitional series plausible?
Theology Isaiah 9:6–7: The coming Child who would be called ‘Mighty God’ (first published on the Messiah.com.es site, where Dr Sarfati was one of 12 Jewish scholars invited to contribute on how Yeshua fulfills the Messianic prophecies in the Hebrew Bible) Lilith: Adam’s mythological first wife Are we allowed to eat all animals today? Young Earth, age, dating General
- God created with functional maturity, not ‘appearance of age’
- Introduction to Refuting Compromise: A biblical and scientific refutation of ‘progressive creationism’ (billions of years) as popularized by astronomer Hugh Ross (plus links to outside reviews)
- Exposé of NavPress’s new Hugh Ross ‘progressive creationist’ Book, The Genesis Question (Semi-Technical)
- Hugh Ross lays down the gauntlet! (Semi-Technical)
- Answering some Hugh Ross supporters
- Analysis of the Hovind–Ross Debate, John Ankerberg Show, October 2000 (Semi-Technical)
- Analysis of the Lisle–Ross Debate, ‘Dr Bob Grant’ radio program, December 2004 (Semi-Technical)
- Ten major differences and similarities between Calendar-Day and Day-Age Creationists—According to Dr Hugh Ross
- Critique of the introductory chapter of Hugh Ross’s new book A Matter of Days: Resolving a Creation Controversy
- Trilobites on the Ark? Hugh Ross’s latest bungles on the created kinds
- More false claims by Hugh Ross
- The Fall: a cosmic catastrophe—Hugh Ross’s blunders on plant death in the Bible
- William Lane Craig’s intellectually dishonest attack on biblical creationists
- Was God’s finished creation perfect?
- 6,000 years of biblical history: Questions and answers
- Why 6,000 years and not Septuagint chronology?
- Hold on, Mr Holzmann: Leading homeschool supplier misleads about biblical creationist exegesis
- Evangelical compromise misses the essentials (Semi-technical, review of The Essence of Darwinism by Kirsten Birkett)
- ID theorist blunders on Bible: Reply to Dr William Dembski
- Chamberlain and the Church
- Church of England apologises to Darwin: Anglican Church’s neo-Chamberlainite appeasement of secularism
- Response to the evolution appeasers (Treasury, New Zealand)
- Evolution makes atheists out of people!
- Evolution makes atheists out of people—Mark 2!
- Compromising chaplain castigates creation
- Compromising chaplain castigates creation, round 2
- Refuting old-earth church publication
- Genesis, history and Haeckel’s diagrams
- ‘Useful idiot’—who, me?
- A high view of Scripture? Second response re: objections from ‘Atheist spat’ article
- Refuting compromising critic of CMI seminar
- Theistic Evolution and the Kenotic Heresy
- Taking the Bible seriously?
- Thomas Aquinas taught a young earth
- Responses to an apostate friend
Interviews of Dr Sarfati
- An awesome mind: A talk with one of Christianity’s foremost defenders, Jonathan Sarfati, from Creation magazine.
- Now a Creationist (Dr Sarfati’s guest article on the Boundless.org website explaining why he became a biblical creationist; see original article on this site)
- Radio interview on Bob Enyart Live, 27 April 2010
- Dr Sarfati explains the scientific and biblical evidence for creation and against evolution, Curs-Ed Net Breakthrough Radio (CNBR), 25 April 2011
- Dr Sarfati discusses the amazing designs in nature, from his book By Design, Curs-Ed Net Breakthrough Radio (CNBR), 20 June 2011
- Interview on Crossroads TV, Canada, 4 November 2010. “Jim Cantelon speaks with Dr Jonathan Sarfati about his book The Greatest Hoax On Earth? which meets Dawkins The Greatest Show on Earth head-on. He answers Dawkins’ challenge. He shows that to believe the Bible’s account of Creation/Fall/Redemption does not commit intellectual suicide, but it is the intellectually superior position.”
- (Samaritans) Member Spotlight: Dr. Jonathan Sarfati of Creation Ministries International, posted by Mike Miller on 16 May 2012
- Militant anti-Theism, hijacking science and Dawkins and Krauss on Redemption Radio, with Dr Sarfati as guest
- The greatest hoax: Evolutionary theory is riddled with contradictions, interview with Peter Hastie, Australian Presbyterian, August 2012
- Refuting Evolution and ‘The Science Guy’, Two-hour interview with Dr Sarfati on the Ham–Nye debate, 15 February 2014
- Callers take on Creationist: Dr. Jonathan Sarfati appears on Dr. Michael Browns show The line of Fire, originally broadcast 2 October 2013
Interviews by Dr Sarfati from Creation magazine
Astronomy and astrophysics
Medicine, human biology, surgery
Theology, biblical studies
Technical papers in secular science journals
- J.D. Sarfati, G.R. Burns, and K.R. Morgan: ‘Tetraphosphorus tetraselenide: crystalline and amorphous phases analysed by X-ray diffraction, Raman and magic angle spinning 31P NMR spectroscopy and differential scanning calorimetry’, Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids 188(1-2):93–97, 2 July 1995 | doi:10.1016/0022-3093(95)00093-3.
- J.D. Sarfati and G.R. Burns: ‘The pressure, temperature and excitation frequency dependent Raman spectra; and infrared spectra of CuBrSe3 and CuISe3’, Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular Spectroscopy 50(12):2125–2136, November 1994 | doi:10.1016/0584-8539(94)00176-6.
- G.R. Burns, J.R. Rollo, J.D. Sarfati and K.R. Morgan: ‘Phases of tetraphosphorus triselenide analysed by magic angle spinning 31P NMR and Raman spectroscopy, and the Raman spectrum of tetraphosphorus tetraselenide’, Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular Spectroscopy 47(6):811–8, 1991 | doi:10.1016/0584-8539(91)80153-A.
- G.R. Burns, J.R. Rollo, and J.D. Sarfati: ‘Raman spectra of the tetraphosphorus trichalcogenide cage molecules P4S2Se and P4SSe2’, Inorganica Chimica Acta 161(1):35–38, 3 July 1989 | doi:10.1016/S0020-1693(00)90111-7.
- G.R. Burns and J.D. Sarfati: ‘Raman spectra of tetraphosphorus triselenide doped in tetraphosphorus trisulphide’, Solid State Communications 66(4):347–49, April 1988 | doi:10.1016/0038-1098(88)90854-X.
- A. Mawdsley, H.J. Trodahl, J. Tallon, J. Sarfati and A.B. Kaiser: ‘Thermoelectric power and electron-phonon enhancement in YBa2Cu3O7-δ’. Nature328(6127):233–234, 16 July 1987 | doi:10.1038/328233a0.
Back to Scientists alive today who accept the biblical account for creation